So, I need to make a Confession, I was skeptical at first. I mean, to be completely honest, I thought this was going to feel a lot like work. I've been a therapist and I'm someone who does a lot of research on true crime. I wondered if this could possibly really be fun, but I realized it's not just fun, but it's also intriguing, it is keeping my mind sharp, and I love it!
My radiator went out on my car and it's snowing, so I had no place to be today (and no way to get there). I spent the early part of my afternoon examining the clues... and I'm really hooked.
Okay, Spoilers Below...
The following are the things that came with my first box and my initial examination.
The Box itself is red and black and has a Baltimore return address on it. When I put the return address into Google Maps I noticed that it came back to a residential area. Nothing else seemed significant at this point about the box.
Inside the Box was a welcome letter and a manila envelope with an inspection sticker and the initials on the sticker are I believe are RS (there is also a phone number on there). I read the welcome letter, I don't think there are any clues on there, but I joined the facebook group.
I opened the Envelope and there were several things inside:
1. A Letter from Listening Friends of America (LFoA): This letter is thanking me for joining LFoA and has informed me that they are some sort of one way penpal service for people who are institutionalized for whatever reason. They have informed me that if there is anything suspicious in my package it will be removed (I called the number on the sticker - they were happy to sell me stickers but could not tell me if something had been removed). The letter was signed from George Madson, the Vice President of LFoA and there was a website address included.
I went to the Website and signed up for like three things using my email. I did read the archived newsletter... the quote at the beginning is: “Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.” -Henry David Thoreau
(at this point I'm wondering if I'm too busy noticing everything that there is a something obvious I'm not noticing)
Felix has signed a letter at the beginning and sites upcoming changes in the organization. He mentions that James Madson (VP of Darlington Division) will be introducing valued staff members.
Introduction of Jacob Nilson by Madson: Nilson... used to be a volunteer, used to be an inspector - though my inspector is RS, Used to be a fund raiser specifically mentions bake sales.
There is a puzzle, by Mr. Puzzle: Solved I believe it says "The Pilot was born this year... twenty some years later he never made it to Brazil".
This is all I have related to Listening Friends of America.
Okay... next thing was an article with redacted sections about sinkholes.
I googled and found the actual article and copied down the redacted parts: Mulberry Street, Scott, The Baltimore Sun, Mullberry Street, Grace, Paca, York Road, Cockeysville, Centre Street in Mount Vernon, Kurt Kocher, The Leaky Pipe, Carries More Water, Kocher, Kocher, Breaks and Leaks, Are, Show, Depression, Adrienne Barnes, To last decades, Mulberry Street, Perhaps a century Barnes, Mulberry. I made a note to myself to map out the locations later. I'm not sure where to go from here so I'm moving on to the next thing.
3. There is a small white cup that looks like it might be a ketchup cup, or in an institution perhaps to be used as a pill cup. It's smashed and empty.
4. There is an envelop with the letter inside on the outside is the typed word friend. The letter isn't sealed. It's a typed letter thanking me for being their friend and talking about basically a quest to find the truth. I've noticed several of the phrases he used seemed forced and were from the redacted sections of the article. I've bolded them in the above paragraph. The letter is signed by John William James. Who, I promptly Google, but nothing is sticking out at me right away.
5. There is an Olive Green card with a picture of a swan on it that says "The Swan." I Google The Swan. Baltimore and a ballet about a serial killer comes on the screen. Well that's interesting, but there doesn't seem to be anything matching the picture.
6. There is what appears to be a star chart about half the size of a regular piece of paper. It's Blue and has some constellations on it. When I flipped it over to the other side I noticed there was a piece of what looks like fishing line or maybe a guitar string on the back attached with blue painters tape. I leave it in place for now, but google Swan Constellation and come up with Cygnus which is one of the constellations on the map. Very Interesting.
7. Also included in my box was a small notebook, I'm going to make note of all the above mentioned things in the book.
Okay, I need to go pick up my car, but I can't wait until I get home this evening to delve a little deeper into this constellation connection.